Lee Smith was drafted by the New England Patriots in the fifth round (159th overall) of the 2011 NFL Draft.
- Smith appeared in 48 games at Marshall, starting 24 contests.
- Closed out his career with 75 receptions for 791 yards (10.5 avg.) and three touchdowns.
- Gained 41 yards on six kickoff returns (6.83), recorded four tackles (2 solos) and recovered a pair of fumbles.
- Originally enrolled at Tennessee.
- All-Conference USA second-team selection.
- Nominated for the Allstate Good Works Team (community service, academic success and athletic achievement) and the John Mackey Award, given to the nation's top tight end.
- Named team captain for the second-straight year, going on to have the best season of his career.
- Ranked second on the team with a career-best 38 receptions for 358 yards (9.42 avg.) and three touchdowns, scoring for the first time as a collegian.
- Also fielded a short kickoff for a 7-yard return in the season finale vs. Tulane.
- Earned All-Conference USA honorable mention.
- Started 9-of-13 games while serving as team captain.
- Finished fourth on the squad with 23 receptions for 335 yards (14.57 avg.), as he also returned three kickoffs for 24 yards (8.0 avg.).
- Recorded two solo tackles - one each vs. Memphis and Alabama-Birmingham.
- Played in all 12 games as a sophomore
- Caught 12 passes for 89 yards (7.42 avg.), as he also recorded two assisted tackles - one each vs. Illinois State and Central Florida.
- Saw significant action in his first season with Marshall on special teams and at tight end.
- Caught two passes for 9 yards, both coming in the Alabama-Birmingham contest.
- Returned a kickoff 10 yards vs. Central Florida.
- Did not play after enrolling at Marshall upon transferring from Tennessee.
- Sat out the season due to NCAA transfer rules.
- Attended Powell (Tenn.) High School.
- Married to wife, Alisha with a son, Brody and a daughter, Amanda.
- Member of the Fox Sports Net 2005 All-South Team.
- Collected 21 receptions for 420 yards and six touchdowns during his senior season.
- Started at tight end and defensive end, adding 55 tackles with nine sacks during his final campaign.
- Also excelled in basketball, averaging 17 points game, nine rebounds and six assists during his three-year hoops career.
- Received the Cam Henderson Scholarship in 2010 and has a 3.2 grade point average with a double major in Psychology and criminal justice.
- Lee and his wife, Alisha, have two children - son Brody and daughter Amanda.
- Father, Daryle, was an offensive lineman at the University of Tennessee (1983-86) before signing a free agent contract with the Dallas Cowboys (1987-88). Daryle also competed with the Cleveland Browns (1989) and Philadelphia Eagles (1990-92). He finished his professional career in the Canadian Football League with the Toronto Argonauts (1993), Sacramento (1994), San Antonio Texans (1995) and Winnipeg Blue Bombers (1996).
- Born Joseph Lere Smith on Nov. 21, 1987.
- Resides in Powell, Tenn.