Katula, 6-6, 265 pounds, is a veteran of five NFL seasons with the Baltimore Ravens (2005-09). He originally was signed by Baltimore as a rookie free agent out of Wisconsin on April 25, 2005. Katula went to training camp with Baltimore this past summer but was waived on Aug. 14. He was played in 80 NFL regular-season games and six postseason games.
Matt Katula was signed by the Patriots as a free agent on Nov. 10, 2010 ... Originally signed by Baltimore as a rookie free agent (4/29/05) ... Waived by Baltimore (8/14/10).
Career GP/GS (Playoffs): 88/0 (7/0)
- Has 28 career regular season special teams tackles and four special teams stops in the postseason.
- Has not missed a game in his NFL career.
- Led all long snappers with 10 special teams tackles in 2005.
2010 (8/0, 1/0)
- Was signed midway through the season to replace Jake Ingram, and snapped on all punts, field goals and extra point kicks through the final eight games of the season and into the postseason.
- Made his Patriots debut in the 39-26 win at Pittsburgh (11/14), making one special teams tackle.
- Registered his second special teams tackle of the season vs. Green Bay (12/19).
2009 (16/0, 2/0 - Baltimore)
- Played in all 16 regular-season and both playoff games for Baltimore.
- Snapped on all 79 punts, 30 FGAs and 47 PATs in 2009.
- Netted four special teams tackles.
- Snapped for all nine punts, three FGAs and two PATs in the postseason.
- Tied for second on the team with two postseason special teams tackles.
2008 (16/0, 3/0 - Baltimore)
- Saw action in all 16 games and snapped 184 times without incident (84 punts, 41 PATs and 33 FGAs).
- Snapped 30 times and made one special teams tackle in the postseason.
2007 (16/0 - Baltimore)
- Saw action in all 16 games and snapped on all 78 punts, 32 FGAs and 26 PATs, as well as posting seven solo special teams tackles.
2006 (16/0, 1/0 - Baltimore)
- Saw action in all 16 games, snapping for 37 PATs, 30 FGAs and 86 punts.
- Posted five special teams tackles.
- Saw action in his first career postseason game, snapping for all five punts and both FGs and had one tackle in the Divisional Playoff game vs. Ind. (1/13/07).
- Saw action in all 16 games as a rookie and snapped for every special teams play.
- Katula led all NFL long snappers with 10 special teams tackles.
- Matt drew significant attention during the Wisconsin Pro Day, when he hit the mark on all but one of his 35 attempts in a targeted long-snap exercise
- Was a significant contributor to the Badgers' special teams unit, seeing action in 48 of 51 games in his career.
- Earned four varsity letters. (Redshirted in 2000.)
- Was Wisconsin's No. 1 long snapper all four seasons.
- His sophomore year, Katula played in all 14 games, making three tackles.
- As a redshirt freshman in 2001, played in his first nine games before suffering a broken arm, which caused him to miss the final three games.
- Majored in political science.
- Born Matthew Charles Katula on Aug 22, 1982.
- Was first-team All-Conference on offense and second team on defense his senior year at Catholic Memorial (Waukesha, Wis.) HS.
- Matt and his wife, Alison, have two daughters, Lillian and Caroline.